Monday, July 27, 2015

Dobyns Chronicles by Shirley McLain ~REVIEW

As some of you know romance or mystery are normally my reading comfort zone. Every now and then I will take a step out of my reading zone and read a different type of material. I do enjoy hearing stories and researching my own family history so I thought this might be a fun book to try. I am so glad I took a leap out of my comfort zone to read Dobyns Chronicles. 

Dobyns Chronicles details the life of Charlie Dobyns and his siblings, David and Viola. The Dobyns' family story is so interesting and has been written in such great detail that I was completely engrossed from the beginning to the end. 

Charlie is a wonderful guy that is brave, strong,  and so gentle and caring. When tragedy strikes Charlie, David, and Viola are left to raise each other. Charlie is determined to keep his family safe and together. This devoted family sticks together through thick and through thin, through the tough times and the better times. Just when I thought this little family had things going well and were going to be OK, something horrible would happen. They went through so many heartbreaking situations. They never let the situation get them down. They would work through the situation and decide what their next step was going to be. These children had to grow up quickly and not in an easy life. I quickly admired all three of these kids. They did what needed to be done when it needed to be done. 

I don't want to tell you too much of what Charlie, David, and Viola went through. I think you will want to pick up your own copy and read this wonderful historical fiction story. This is based upon the life of the author Shirley McLain's Great Grandfather. Ms. McLain has done a fabulous job of giving us a great picture of what life was like during the time frame of the late 1800's into the early 1900's.  

Like I said this isn't normally a genre that I would typically read. However it is such a fabulous story that I could not put this book down. There are twist and turns around every corner. I had to find out just what in the world could possible go wrong next. There are times my heart broke for this dear family that was trying so hard just to stay together. Even if this isn't normally a genre you would read I do highly recommend Dobyns Chronicles. I think once you get to meet this family and start reading about their lives you will be as captivated as I was. There is drama, a lot of wonderful family moments, some great friendships, and did I mention drama? There is plenty of that of drama, from sickness to death, from torturous travels to horrible bosses, this is one page turner of a story. 

I love that Shirley McLain has taken the time to research and listen to the stories of her family. Then she has taken the huge leap of turning this great story into a book for us lucky readers to enjoy. She has done a great job of honoring her ancestors. I highly commend her for her a job well done! 

I was given the opportunity to read this wonderful story so that I may share my thoughts with you. As always it has been my great pleasure to share my thoughts with you on Dobyns Chronicles. 

Amazon Buy Link:

 Dobyns Chronicles 

No comments:

Post a Comment